Leodamas of Thebes
AZ, a Hellene habited PR driving a chariot AR drawn by 2 lions Or
Lord Leodamas of Thebes was a founding member of the Barony of Calafia, which was then still a territory of the Kingdom of the West. He was known to be a "wonderful and courtly gentleman" and a peacemaker at a time when the SCA was still developing.
His name is frequently misspelled as "Leodamus".
He served as the first Seneschal of the Barony of Calafia.
Following an event, he was helping someone (the story is he was helping push a car) and the exertion caused him to have a heart attack which caused his death. Leodamas died in August, 1972.
Order of Leodamas of Thebes
Following his death, Baron Talanque created an award in his name. The Order of Leodamas of Thebes was established on 13 January 1973 at the 12th Night Revels. Eilonwy de Lyur was named as the founding member of the Order of Leodamas of Thebes.(1) This award is presented to those who display traits that are seen to be in keeping with the type of person Lord Leodamas was. Polling for this award takes place at a yearly tournament which also bears his name, and if there is a designated recipient, the award is presented at Calafia Anniversary. The award may be given out annually, but it is not required.
The first tournament dedicated to Leodamas of Thebes was held in September, 1976. The event was held at Balboa Park, having been a week later than originally planned due to rain the previous week. In the finals, Balin of Tor defeated Gregory of York. (2)
Recipients of the Order of Leodamas
- Eilonwy de Lyur -- 1973-01-13 (1)
- Amand de Sevigny -- 1974-01-12 (3)
- Diana de Savigny -- 1977-11-5 (4)
- Tryggvi Halftrollson -- 1978-11-30
- Elinore Windemere of the Moors -- 1979-11-03
- Christopher of Deauville -- 1983-11-12
- Evah Marguerita Palma de Yuste -- 1985-11-09
- Fia Naheed -- 1988-11-05
- AEthelred the Jute -- 1991-11-09
- Veronique de Viennois -- 1995-11-18
- Olaf Olafson -- 1999-11-06
- Eilidh na Tire Dharigh -- 2000-11-11
- Alesia de Cattemere -- 2002-11-02
- Danyel de Licatia -- 2007-11-03
- Reina MacCormick -- 2013-11-09
- David of Caithness -- 2016-11-05
- Leave your memories here.
Mistress Janây d' Aquitaine, OL:
He was in his 80s when I met him. He was a handsome man who stood about 6 feet, slender but fairly fit looking for his age. He was fair skinned, with snow-white hair that may have been dark when younger. His eyes were a brilliant sky blue. His manner was always courtly, even around vexing persons (and there were a few). He could be described as of noble mien and to the manor born. Soft spoken, I never heard him raise his voice.
2. http://history.westkingdom.org/Year11/CalafiaLeodamus.htm (According to the Kingdom of the West's online history the date of the event was September 17th, however this is unlikely as that was a Friday.)