Sigvald in the Guardians of the High Road tabard at Angels Melee, 2007
Lord Lord (he received 2 AoA's) Sigvaldr Hauksson (aka Sigvald Hauksen) was a member of The Great Dark Horde. He was the backbone and soul of Altavia's current Monday night fighter practice.
- 1 Death
- 2 Offices & Positions
- 3 Siggy's Humor
- 4 Photos
- 5 Sigvaldr's Arming Benches
- 6 A Challenge to Arms
- 7 Memories
- 7.1 From Carrie (Sigvaldr's wife)
- 7.2 From Lord Ruger von Heilbronn, East Kingdom
- 7.3 From Sven II and Kolfinna II
- 7.4 From Secca and Meliora
- 7.5 From Ysabel d'Outre-mer
- 7.6 From Aaron Chusid
- 7.7 From Tezar of Aeolis, Colwyn Stagghorn & Nicholai
- 7.8 From Brangwyne
- 7.9 From Niccolo d'Angelo
- 7.10 From Catriona & Francisco
- 7.11 From Cecilia & Cristophanus
- 7.12 From Sorcha
- 7.13 From Laertes McBride, Alexandra and Samantha
- 7.14 From Lorissa du Griffin
- 7.15 From Philip Berenger de Greylonde
- 7.16 From Richard the Undecided
- 7.17 From Kiena le Blue
- 7.18 From Ysoude de Rochester
- 7.19 From Selene Colfox
- 7.20 From Ariadne de Glevo
- 7.21 From Vires
- 7.22 From Caine of Altavia, Quatalina of Altavia and Apollonia
- 7.23 From Andromeda of Greece
- 7.24 From Ælfwyn Wodende
- 7.25 From Bridget Lucia Mackenzie
- 7.26 From Madelena Hidalgo de Valencia
- 7.27 From Iseabail nee Bhatar
- 7.28 From Medb ingen Eochaid
- 8 More Info and Memorials
Sigvaldr passed away on May 26th, 2009. He died quickly from a blood clot in his heart.
90 (or more) gentles from several baronies, including Sigvaldr's beloved wife Carrie, attended a memorial service for Sigvaldr at the Monday night fighter practice on June 1st, 2009.
The following is the text of a certificate presented to Carrie:
- " For mine is an old belief...there is a soul in every leaf - M.M. Ballou ~ A grove of 5 trees has been dedicated in memory of the life of Andrew Shuford, known to us as Sigvaldr Hauksson. A contribution to TreePeople has been made by The Barony of Altavia and all those in the SCA who knew and loved him."
- ~~ This contribution was made possible by the generosity of The Playtone Company
Bardic for Sigvaldr
- A Viking Prayer by Secca de Cantia
- Remembrance of Sigvaldr Hauksson by Secca and Meliora
- Gone to the Unseen - Rumi Read by Ysabel d'Outre-mer at Sigvaldr's memorial.
Offices & Positions
- Altavia Armored Combat marshal, 2006-5/2009
- Altavia Deputy Marshal ?/2006
- Altavia Marshal, 2006-5/2009
- Organizer and Coordinator of Altavia's fighter practice
An Email Sigvaldr sent announcing one of a very few fighter practice cancellations:
- Monday Night Practice/Cancelled?
- Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:39 am
- In my pre-coffee stage I went out to pick up the paper only to find strange wet droplets falling from the sky, having worked on movie sets I figured someone was using a rain bar to shoot some dramatic scene in my neighborhood.. so I wandered to find craft service. Well it must be the worlds largest Rain bar cause I kept getting wet and found no snack table anywhere (let alone coffee).
- Upon returning to the warmth of my abode (looking like a drowned rat). I Googled "wet stuff falling from sky without rain bar" and discovered that according to the Washington Post Archives that this was genuine, no sh$@#t , RAIN!!!...yes catch your breaths folks...don't panic..RAIN and according to weather.com it looks as if its not going to leave anytime soon (like that guy at the party you really don't want to talk to who corners you anyway) in fact its supposed to stay all day (70-90% chance during our normal practice hours).
- So at this moment I am giving everyone a "heads up" that practice will be canceled if this aberration of "Sunny California" (tm.) continues I should be awake and less "drowned rat" by this afternoon (unless of course some pan-dimensional being says otherwise) And will Update this.
- Yours Drippingly
- Sigvaldr of the leaky Jeep/Jacuzzi on wheels
Sigvaldr's Arming Benches
Baron Secca designed these arming benches /small side tables; they are very sturdy and break down for travel.
Sigvaldr had seen the prototype, tested it, and loved it. So in his honour, Secca named them "Sigvaldr's Arming Benches" or "Siggy Benches" for short. They will all carry Sigvaldr's initials as a "maker's mark".
These benches were originally meant to be used solely as gifts from the Barony; but ten extra were built, and then raffled off at HRM Mora II's Queen's Champion Tournament on June 7th, 2009 as fund raisers for Sigvaldr and Cate the Grape.
A Challenge to Arms
Issued Monday June 29th 2009
Unto all that this missive may come, good greetings.
Know that this last May, the Baronial Marshal of Altavia, in fair Caid, did suddenly pass from among us. Lord Sigvaldr Hauksson was a man of great devotion, humility and generosity. His years of dedication to the training up and arming of the warriors of the Barony and Kingdom was greatly admired by all who came to Altavia, and inspired many a fledgling fighter to persevere and thrive.
It is meet and good that we should remember Lord Sigvaldr in a manner fitting to the man he was. Therefore, do we, the Companions of the Vert Fret of Altavia, for Armored Combat, issue this invitation and challenge; that we shall take up any arms desired and available, either singly or united in melee, in Combat a' Plaisance, against any who come.
We shall stand ready under arms at Lyondemere Anniversary, on July 18th of this year. We invite any who wish to honor our Marshal and test our mettle, to come forth armed and accoutered, with one whose favor you bear that day, and issue challenge. We further invite you to inscribe a remembrance of Lord Sigvaldr, or an inspiration dedicated to him, in a book provided. Shade and beverage shall be provided to cool the gallery and challengers.
We thank the Barony of Lyondemere, the Baron and Baroness, and the Reeve and Reevess, for their kind permission to stand this challenge at their Anniversary and Baronial Investiture, and look forward to the deeds of arms that shall come forth.
- Leave your memories.
From Carrie (Sigvaldr's wife)
I can not thank you all enough for all that you did for Sig both at the Monday night memorial and over all. You all are so wonderful, I can see why Andrew wanted to be there so much.
He loved you all so much and took so much joy in seeing the newbies grow and get their own gear. He would come home and just beam telling me "So and So got a new whatever" or when their skill jumped and they got a great shot off. That was his love. So thank you for filling his life with happiness and love.
You all were his life and he loved it with every bit he gave. It was who he was. And last night at the memorial I got to see how important he was and how much he was loved. It was wonderful to see others express what I saw and felt every day that I was with him. And I will hold that in my heart for the rest of my life. Thank you for it all. He truly was a Viking he LIVED. And he was much LOVED.
Thank you all for being a part of what he was.
From Lord Ruger von Heilbronn, East Kingdom
Sygvald and I have been best friends since the 7th grade. We started in the SCA together, we started fighting together, we went to Pennsic together, and we joined the Horde together. Mundanely, he was a Godfather to my children, my closest friend, and brother in every way but blood. After nearly 30 years of never being out of contact for more then a few weeks at a time, I will miss his humor, compassion, wisdom and most of all, his friendship.
Sigvald was a kind soul who worked hard for his Barony. We were so very saddened to hear the news, but know that he is in a good place now. We will miss him.
From Secca and Meliora
Words cannot express the sadness we feel at the loss of such a wonderful man. Carrie, please know that our thoughts are with you, and we will do all we can to help you.
From Ysabel d'Outre-mer
That is very sad news. I'm both stunned and saddened to hear of his passing. He will be missed.
From Aaron Chusid
Sigvaldr was the first person to greet me when I moved to Altavia; I never forgot that, and I never will.
From Tezar of Aeolis, Colwyn Stagghorn & Nicholai
He was a kind soul, always supportive of everyone around him. He will be sorely missed by all and we will keep thoughts of him in our hearts.
He was such a lovely kind man.
From Niccolo d'Angelo
It is very sad to have lost such a wonderful man. I know that those touched by his life have become much enriched. We will all miss him greatly.
From Catriona & Francisco
Sigvaldr was always so welcoming to the Newcomers and always willing to share his knowledge. He was a very kind soul and will be missed Greatly
From Cecilia & Cristophanus
Monday night fighter practice will not be the same without his gentle smile, and welcoming hello.
He was one of the first people my children and I met. Brandon learned so much from him. He had so much to offer and will be sorely missed.
From Laertes McBride, Alexandra and Samantha
What a loss of a great man.
From Lorissa du Griffin
Know that your spot will be empty in both the park and many hearts. You touched so many people in such a positive way. You will forever be Siggy the big guy with a HUGE heart, in mine. Love you. Goodbye.
There are no words to express how I feel about the passing of such a great and kind man. Sigvaldr was one of the first people that I met when I joined the SCA. He was always incredibly kind and willing to pass on his vast knowledge of all things.
I am stunned with tears in my eyes as I sit here reading of this terrible event. Words fail me at such times. Gods speed Sigvlad. You will be missed.
From Kiena le Blue
Sigvald was one of the first people I met when I began playing with Altavia. It's always those 1st few people that you meet that give you the 1st (and usually lasting) impression of the group. How fortunate I was to have Sigvald be among those 1st few people. What a great loss. There really are no words.
From Ysoude de Rochester
I am so saddened by this news I do not know what to say. Sigvaldr was the dearest, sweetest, most giving person I have ever met and he will be missed so much.
From Selene Colfox
Oh my dear Lord. He leaves a hole in the barony and in our hearts that will be very difficult to fill.
From Ariadne de Glevo
OMG! No! This is soooo sad and such terrible news! Sigvald was a much loved, special, and wonderful human being who will be greatly missed. His passing leaves a giant void in all our hearts.
No matter how long I had been away for practice he always remembered me. I will miss his friendly reception at practice.
From Caine of Altavia, Quatalina of Altavia and Apollonia
We are truly going to miss him, Siggy was the first person we met when we came to check out one of the practices. He was extremely welcoming and sweet and from then on we decided to join the group. It's not going to be the same without him at practice, he was always there for everyone rain or shine.
From Andromeda of Greece
A truly beautiful person. Never passing judgment, just there to motivate you, inspire you, help you and cheer you up. How does one continue his/her beginning in the SCA without his smiles and determination to get you armored and started on field... Just the thought of your absence Sig, becomes so very hard to accept and understand... yet I find temporary comfort in knowing that we shall see you again, only it will be walking among history's true legends, those of Greece, the ancient and mid ages....
From Ælfwyn Wodende
Kind and Generous Sigvaldr. I am moved to tears and words escape me.
Dearest Lord Lord Sigvald, Andy Shuford, he will be so missed.
I'm in a state of shock to hear of Sigvald's passing.
I knew I knew him not 1/10th as well as the rest of the Barony but what I can say is when I autocrated my first Baronial event last year, he showed up obviously ill and feverish, set up the eric, and continued working until he could barely stand and only when the event was left in the capable hands of the Earl Marshal did he leave.
That is the Sigvald I will remember. A sweet and gentle soul who would not shirk his duty. To quasi quote one of the Star Trek movies, on that day for Sigvald, the needs of the many outweighed the need of the one.
The good always leave us too soon.
From Iseabail nee Bhatar
I am overcome with sadness for the loss. My last encounter with him was typical of our Siggy, though. He stopped me just before I left fighter practice and said "Excuse me!" and held out his arms. I got a Siggy hug with all the trimmings, and I said "I love you, Siggy, yer the best!".
So I will say it again. We love you, Siggy. Your memory will live on in the hearts of Altavia. Aloha.
From Medb ingen Eochaid
Sigvaldr was an amazing man. He was so welcoming, and he had so much to share. When I stumbled into fighter practice, hoping to get out on the field with my bow, with no idea how to get my armour together in time, he helped me and inspired me in so many ways, and I know he's done the same for so many people. He will be greatly missed.